In May — some eight decades after the Nazis killed one of his ancestors and a decade after launching a legal battle — Timothy Reif ’80 *85 won a decisive legal victory regarding the family’s stolen art.
20222807_Court Rules for Family of Art Collector Killed by Nazis_PrincetonAlumniWeeklyA monument for Fritz Grünbaum
by Richard Weihs (* October 6, 1956 in Wels), an Austrian author, musician and actor, with a focus on Viennese dialect.
A commonplace that is probably popular at all times says that any cabaret, no matter how satirically exaggerated, is always far outdone by real existing politics. And the true story of the naming of a small square in Vienna-Mariahilf after the great cabaret artist Fritz Grünbaum seems to me to confirm this thesis quite vividly.It was in the spring of 1979 when I protested with hand-painted posters against the planned development of a large plot of land on the Linke Wienzeile. In such a green-poor residential area, I thought (and later thousands of other residents of Mariahilfer), the construction of a public park would be much more urgent.
The View of the Others / Die Meinung der Anderen: Priscilla DeGregory, New York Post
Heirs of Nazi-looted paintings can proceed with auction after legal battle ends
A nearly seven-year-long legal battle over two paintings stolen by the Nazis has finally come to an end after an art dealer lost his bid to appeal, freeing the heirs of the works to put them up for auction.
The artworks, “Woman Hiding her Face” and “Woman in Black Pinafore” by Austrian expressionist Egon Schiele, are expected to go under the hammer at Christie’s in the fall.
Timonthy Reif and David Fraenkel, the owners, sued London-based dealer Richard Nagy in 2015 for the return of the paintings.
They argued that their ancestor, Austrian Holocaust victim Fritz Grunbaum, had been forced to hand over the works — and the rest of his $5 million collection of paintings — to the Nazis.
Grunbaum, a Jewish cabaret performer, was then sent to the Dachau concentration camp, where he was killed in 1941.
His heirs filed suit after learning the Schiele paintings ended up in Nagy’s hands decades later — and that the dealer had put them up for sale at the Park Avenue Armory.
Reif and Fraenkel said they had proof that their ancestor had been forced to sign a document giving up his precious collection. Read more
The View of the Others / Die Meinung der Anderen: Oliver Meier, SRF 2
English Version below
Radio SRF 2 Kultur, Kultur-Aktualität, 30.05.2022, 17:10 Uhr, Oliver Meier
Sammlung Grünbaum Dieses Raubkunst-Urteil setzt die Museen unter Druck
Seit langem wird über die Schiele-Sammlung des jüdischen Kabarettisten Fritz Grünbaum gestritten, der im Konzentrationslager Dachau starb. Nun erhalten die Nachkommen zwei Werke zurück, die in Bern gehandelt wurden. Ein erstaunlicher Entscheid.
Nach dem US-Urteil: Grünbaum-Schieles werden an die Familie restituiert
Das bahnbrechende Urteil des Obersten US-Gerichtshofs zur Restitution der beiden Schielewerke wurde am 24.Mai endgültig bestätigt. Der Beklagte Richard Nagy wurde zur Herausgabe der Bilder an die rechtmäßigen Erben sowie zur Bezahlung von Schadenersatz und Zinsen verpflichtet. Damit ist auch die Restitution der im Besitz der österreichischen Museen Albertina und Sammlung Leopold befindlichen Bilder aus der Sammlung Grünbaum wieder ins Zentrum der österreichischen Restitutionspolitik gerückt.
The dream of Café Grünbaum in Hitler’s birthplace
This column was published on April 20, 2022 in the Austrian daily newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten
Diese Kolumne erschien am 20.04.2022 in der österreichischen Tageszeitung Salzburger Nachrichten
Der Traum vom Café Grünbaum in Hitlers Geburtshaus
§ 7.500 cash reward for hints about “Boats mirrored in the Water”, Egon Schiele
Deutsche Übersetzung unterhalb
THE MONUMENTS MEN FOUNDATION rewards $ 7.500 for information leading to the recovery of the painting.
For more information regarding this painting: https://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/wwii-most-wanted-schiele
Cash paid at time of legal recovery.
Anyone with information regarding these object should contact the Foundation at 1-866-WWII-ART (1-866-994-4278) or wwiiart@monumentsmenfoundation.org.
Full terms and conditions available at monumentsmenfoundation.org/wwii-most-wanted
The Monuments Men Foundation respects the privacy of all those who contact us, in particular those wishing to provide information anonymously. The Monuments Men Foundation reserves the right to modify the terms of the reward at its sole discretion. Offer void where prohibited by law.
THE MONUMENTS MEN FOUNDATION setzt eine Belohnung von $7.500 für Informationen aus, die zur Wiederbeschaffung des Bildes führt.
Die Auszahlung erfolgt zum Zeitpunkt der legalen Wiederbeschaffung.
Wer Informationen zudiesem Objekt hat, sollte die Stiftung unter 1-866-WWII-ART (1-866-994-4278) oder wwiiart@monumentsmenfoundation.org kontaktieren.
Die Monuments Men Foundation respektiert die Privatsphäre aller Personen, die mit uns Kontakt aufnehmen, insbesondere derjenigen, die anonym Informationen zur Verfügung stellen möchten. Die Monuments Men Foundation behält sich das Recht vor, die Bedingungen für die Belohnung nach eigenem Ermessen zu ändern. Das Angebot ist ungültig, wo dies gesetzlich verboten ist.
Weitere Informationen sowie die Teilnahmebedingungen finden Sie hier: https://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/wwii-most-wanted
Wanted! $ 25,000 cash reward for looted Artworks
GERMAN VERSION BELOW
For more information, terms and conditions, visit: https://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/wwii-most-wanted
THE MONUMENTS MEN FOUNDATION setzt eine Belohnung von bis zu $25.000 für Informationen aus, die zur Wiederbeschaffung jedes Kulturguts führen, das im WWII Most Wanted Art™ Spielkartensatz enthalten ist.
Die Auszahlung erfolgt zum Zeitpunkt der legalen Wiederbeschaffung.
Wer Informationen zu einem dieser Objekte hat, sollte die Stiftung unter 1-866-WWII-ART (1-866-994-4278) oder wwiiart@monumentsmenfoundation.org kontaktieren.
Die Monuments Men Foundation respektiert die Privatsphäre aller Personen, die mit uns Kontakt aufnehmen, insbesondere derjenigen, die anonym Informationen zur Verfügung stellen möchten. Die Monuments Men Foundation behält sich das Recht vor, die Bedingungen für die Belohnung nach eigenem Ermessen zu ändern. Das Angebot ist ungültig, wo dies gesetzlich verboten ist.
Weitere Informationen sowie die Teilnahmebedingungen finden Sie hier: https://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/wwii-most-wanted
Playing cards featuring the WWII MOST WANTED ART
GERMAN VERSION BELOW
The Monuments Men Foundation for the Preservation of Art is pleased to announce the launch of a deck of playing cards featuring the WWII MOST WANTED ART™ still missing since the end of World War II. Determined to continue the mission of the Monuments Men and Women, the scholar-soldiers who, during World War II, protected and safeguarded civilization’s most important artistic cultural treasures, the Foundation is now engaging the public to help find missing objects and return them to their rightful owners.
Customized decks of playing cards have a rich history in the United States military, having been used during the Civil War, World War II, and most recently the Iraq War, to bring visibility to a particular mission. This deck follows that tradition to bring visibility to some of the most important works of art that went missing during World War II whose whereabouts are currently unknown. “The Monuments Men Foundation has found a new and creative approach to engage the general public in the search for works of art and cultural treasures missing since World War II,” said Col. A. Scott DeJesse Cultural Heritage Preservation Officer, 38G / 6V Heritage and Preservation branch, U.S. Army. “We are proud of our relationship with the Foundation and look forward to integrating this rich history with our future efforts to protect cultural heritage.”
The Foundation is offering a cash reward of up to $25,000 for information leading to the recovery of each cultural object included in the WWII MOST WANTED ART™ deck of playing cards. Terms and conditions for the reward are fully outlined on the Foundation’s website at monumentsmenfoundation.org/wwii-most-wanted.
Webevent: From Murder to Museum – The Video
Sponsored by the Jewish Lawyers Guild, the Justice Brandies Law Society of Westchester County and the Brandeis Society of Queens.
In From Murder To Museums: Current Controversies Over Nazi-Looted Art, the Hon. Timothy Reif (U.S. Court of International Trade) recounts the exceptional talent, courage and kindness of his “great-uncle” Fritz Grünbaum — among the most notable movie makers and entertainers of the 1920s and 1930s — his murder in the Dachau Concentration Camp and the theft of Grünbaum’s art collection, including 81 works by the artist Egon Schiele. In 1998, Reif persuaded then-District Attorney Robert Morgenthau to seize Egon Schiele’s Dead City III at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Morgenthau’s seizure garnered international headlines and led to the 1998 Washington Conference Principles which today guide restitution efforts in over 40 countries.
Dunnington partner Sam Blaustein describes the legal and procedural aspects of a seizure authorized in Supreme Court, New York County, of two stolen Egon Schiele paintings spotted at the Park Avenue Armory’s Salon+Art Show in November 2015.
Dunnington partner Ray Dowd then reviews current case law, the impact of the 2016 HEAR Act on New York’s statute of limitations, obstacles facing legal practitioners in pursuing restitution claims, and the outlook for the future of restitution claims.
Gesponsert durch Jewish Lawyers Guild, der Justice Brandies Law Society of Westchester County und der Brandeis Society of Queens gesponsert wurde.
In From Murder To Museums: Current Controversies Over Nazi-Looted Art (Aktuelle Kontroversen um Nazi-Raubkunst) erzählt Hon. Timothy Reif (U.S. Court of International Trade) von der außergewöhnlichen Begabung, dem Mut und der Freundlichkeit seines “Großonkels” Fritz Grünbaum – einem der bedeutendsten Filmemacher und Entertainer der 1920er und 1930er Jahre -, seiner Ermordung im Konzentrationslager Dachau und dem Diebstahl von Grünbaums Kunstsammlung, darunter 81 Werke des Künstlers Egon Schiele. Im Jahr 1998 überzeugte Reif den damaligen Staatsanwalt Robert Morgenthau, Egon Schieles “Tote Stadt III” im Museum of Modern Art in New York City zu beschlagnahmen. Morgenthaus Beschlagnahmung sorgte für internationale Schlagzeilen und führte zu den Grundsätzen der Washingtoner Konferenz von 1998, die heute in über 40 Ländern als Richtschnur für Restitutionsbemühungen dienen.
Sam Blaustein, Partner bei Dunnington, beschreibt die rechtlichen und verfahrenstechnischen Aspekte der Beschlagnahmung zweier gestohlener Egon-Schiele-Gemälde, die im November 2015 bei der Salon+Art Show in der Park Avenue Armory entdeckt wurden, vor dem Supreme Court, New York County.
Ray Dowd, Partner bei Dunnington, gibt anschließend einen Überblick über die aktuelle Rechtsprechung, die Auswirkungen des HEAR Act von 2016 auf die Verjährungsfristen in New York, die Hindernisse, mit denen Juristen bei der Verfolgung von Restitutionsansprüchen konfrontiert sind, und die Zukunftsaussichten für Restitutionsansprüche.